Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Hey, you.

One of my kids -- a smart, funny, gentle, kind, creative guy -- has been a target for bullies since fourth grade. Different bullies, different settings. We've talked to teachers, coaches, counselors to make sure our kid is doing everything he can to avoid being the chosen one, and they all agree that there's no objective reason for him to get picked on more than any other kid...they also agree that he gets more than his fair share of bullying. Last year, one kid started calling him gay. When we were trouble shooting an effective response, I mentioned that it would be okay if he *were* gay. I didn't think he was, but I also think it needs to be said, repeatedly. "Oh, I'm not, Mom," he said. "I just hate that they think it's an insult to call me that."

This school year started with a physical assault -- the school's words, not mine. They notified the sheriff and suspended the kid. We chose not to pursue it because we didn't think it'd help. And while that kid has backed way off, others are still in the picture with their verbal claws, waiting for him to reveal his soft underbelly. Sadly, he is so used to it that it's a fact of life for him, but it breaks my heart. He is still sunshiney and light-seeking and I know he is a strong, strong kid who's going to great things, but I wish he didn't have to deal with it.

When he gets home today, I'm going to show him this.



Thank you, GMCLA for reminding me of this great song and its message of hope for all kinds of people.

2 comments:

Dormcclure said...

Loved that! HATE that your son is being bullied- that is dreadful.

Beezer No. 3 said...

Oh that's breaking my heart too. lovely that you can share the song with him.